How might you presumably high — or, relying in your view of Trump — backside that?
The reply is you’ll be able to’t. However there does look like a change in each Trump’s Twitter habits and the content material of his precise tweets in current weeks — a development that had develop into much more noticeable in the previous couple of days. Trump just isn’t solely tweeting extra, however he’s doing so at much less and fewer predictable hours. His precise tweets learn like a stream of consciousness, verbal vomit — all the time (or nearly all the time) targeted on the continuing particular counsel investigation being led by Robert Mueller. Twitter has remodeled into Trump’s very public venting operation — a discussion board the place he can unleash his anger, bitterness and resentment and watch whereas his loyal supporters inform him that he is proper. All the time.
Talking of Sunday, let’s first catalog the President’s tweets since Sunday morning.
Trump has despatched 26 complete tweets — 22 unique tweets and four retweets of previous Trump tweets.
- 18 of these got here Sunday, eight had been from Monday (as of press time).
- The primary tweet on Sunday got here at 7:52 a.m. ET The final one got here at 9:03 p.m. ET.
- The primary tweet on Monday got here at 8:46 a.m. ET.
- Eight tweets had been centered on the Mueller investigation and/or the inspector normal’s report on how the FBI dealt with the Hillary Clinton electronic mail probe.
- 6 tweets attacked Democrats for creating the household separation points alongside the southern border.
- 5 tweets have targeted totally on how Trump is not getting the credit score he believes he deserves for his dealing with of North Korea.
- The remaining tweets had been a mishmash of these attacking the “faux information” media, touting how nice his supporters are and wishing everybody a contented Father’s Day.
The sheer quantity of the tweets is the very first thing that stands out to me. Sure, Trump is a frequent tweeter — and all the time has been. However 18 tweets on a single day!? And a Sunday?! And Father’s Day, as well!!!!
What Trump appeared to do on Sunday is one thing alongside these traces: Get up, tweet, play golf, return to White Home, tweet.
After which at present, whilst his occasion phases an open insurrection towards his insurance policies on the border, Trump continues to tweet and tweet and tweet.
The purpose is that Trump, by no means one to have a large circle of trusted advisers, has watched his so-called “inside circle” shrink and shrink and shrink over the previous couple of months. And that shrinkage has been accompanied by an more and more fraught political surroundings triggered largely by the continuing uncertainty of what Mueller will discover and when he’ll announce it.
Backed right into a nook that’s a minimum of considerably of his personal making, Trump has turned to Twitter increasingly incessantly of late. And his tweets have develop into much more revealing.
What we’ve got proper now’s a President targeted/bordering-on-obsessed with the Mueller investigation, what it has meant and would possibly imply for his presidency. A President who seems like a sufferer of an unfair media, which will not give him the right credit score he deserves. A President who, underneath siege in any variety of methods, is more and more bunkering in — and giving voice to conspiracy theories to justify his habits.
Once more, it’s unimaginable to say Trump is doing one thing on Twitter that he is by no means accomplished earlier than, as a result of he is crossed each line and upended each expectation on the social media platform already.
However what’s price noting is that the way in which Trump is utilizing Twitter — significantly the frequency and time of tweets — has modified. That, coupled together with his more and more stream of consciousness riffs on no matter grievance he’s nursing in that second, make his Twitter feed much more uncooked, extra private and, sure, stranger that at any time since he has been President.