Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman met with Chinese language President Xi Jinping on the G20 summit in Argentina.
Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Overseas Affairs tweeted the assembly got here on the sidelines:
Beating their drums, singing chants and holding up indicators that say, “Out IMF!” and “They need conflict, we WON’T give them peace,” dozens organized teams have gathered in Buenos Aires to protest the G20 summit.
Friday’s class photograph on the G20 included the fewest feminine heads-of-government than any earlier G20 household photograph taken for the reason that group started assembly in 2008.
That was due partly to Angela Merkel’s absence (her aircraft was having points attending to Argentina). However even had she been there, there would have been solely two feminine nation leaders — Merkel and Theresa Might — plus IMF chief Christine Lagarde. That will have amounted to the bottom quantity since 2010.
The 2 years with the best numbers are 2012 and 2013, which noticed 5 feminine leaders each years.
Listed below are the previous feminine leaders photographed on the G20:
- 2 ladies in 2018 (Might, Lagarde)
- four ladies in 2017 (Merkel, Might, Lagarde, Solberg)
- four ladies in 2016 (Merkel, Might, Lagarde, Park)
- four ladies in 2015 (Merkel, Lagarde, Park, Rousseff)
- four ladies in 2014 (Merkel, Lagarde, Park, Rousseff)
- 5 ladies in 2013 (Merkel, Lagarde, Park, Rousseff, Kirchner)
- 5 ladies in 2012 (Merkel, Lagarde, Rousseff, Kirchner, Gillard)
- four ladies in 2011 (Merkel, Lagarde, Rousseff, Kirchner, Gillard)
- three ladies in 2010 (Merkel, Gillard, Kirchner)
- 2 ladies in 2009 (Merkel, Kirchner)
- 2 ladies in 2008 (Merkel, Kirchner)
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe provided a dose of hyperbolic reward for President Donald Trump as he sat down with the US President on the sidelines of the G20 summit.
Whereas Trump has touted the midterm election leads to such phrases, in actuality, the midterm election outcomes amounted to a stinging rebuke of Trump as Democrats picked up dozens of seats within the Home of Representatives.
The feedback epitomized what number of world leaders have lavished Trump with reward and flattery, together with South Korean President Moon Jae-in, who has credited Trump for the landmark inter-Korea talks.
Russian President Vladimir Putin greeted Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman with a large smile and an enthusiastic excessive 5 Friday morning because the G20 session formally started.
It was an often heat welcome for a pacesetter who’s below intense worldwide scrutiny after the homicide of a journalist on the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
Prime Minister Theresa Might mentioned she would increase the subject in a gathering with MBS. President Trump exchanged pleasantries with MBS, and instructed reporters they “had no dialogue” however that “we would.”
French President Emmanuel Macron additionally instructed MBS on the sidelines that “Europeans would really like worldwide consultants to be a part of the investigations into the demise of Khashoggi,” based on a spokeswoman type Elysee Palace.
President Donald Trump struck a cautiously optimistic tone on Friday concerning the prospect of reaching a deal on commerce with Chinese language President Xi Jinping when the 2 meet Saturday night.
Trump mentioned his Nationwide Financial Council Director Larry Kudlow and his representatives are coping with the Chinese language “on a relentless foundation” within the lead-up to his dinner with Xi and the President mentioned the US officers are seeing “some good indicators.”
Michael Cohen, who pleaded responsible to creating false statements to Congress within the Mueller investigation, exits federal courtroom.
Hanging over Trump’s second G20 summit is the most recent twist in particular counsel Robert Mueller’s ongoing investigation — and it is not the primary time the investigation has adopted the President exterior the USA.
Trump’s worldwide journeys have been repeatedly marred by developments within the investigation:
- Mueller was appointed as particular counsel simply two days earlier than Trump’s first international trip final Might. Trump has expressed earlier than in private and non-private that the investigation has hampered his diplomatic efforts on the world stage.
- Whereas on his flight again to Washington from the G20 last July, Trump and his aides labored to craft an announcement on behalf of Donald Trump Jr. in regards to the now-infamous assembly with a Russian lawyer at Trump Tower a yr prior.
- A year later, because the President ready to fly to Helsinki to satisfy with Putin, the Justice Division introduced the indictment of Russian intelligence officers linked to election interference.
- Michael Cohen’s plea agreement on Thursday is the most recent instance, and shortly after the information emerged Trump moved to scrap his assembly with Putin. The White Home insists the cancellation was due to the escalating Russia-Ukraine battle, although no new info had publicly emerged.
Argentine President Mauricio Macri kicked off the all-leader G20 session with a message of unity.
“The essence of the G20 is to foster dialogue whereas respecting variations,” Macri mentioned in his opening remarks, expressing his hope that the summit would “lay the foundations for consensus for the subsequent 10 years.”
He cited a number of of those challenges, which the G20 members will talk about through the 2-day summit, together with local weather change, sustainable growth, meals safety, and worldwide commerce.
White Home press secretary Sarah Sanders blamed particular counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation for hurting the US’s relationship with Russia in an announcement on Friday, someday after Trump canceled a deliberate assembly with Vladimir Putin.
“The Russian Witch Hunt Hoax, which is hopefully now nearing an finish, is doing very properly. Sadly, it most likely does undermine our relationship with Russia. Nonetheless, the explanation for our canceled assembly is Ukraine. Hopefully, that might be resolved quickly in order that productive conversations can start.”
A couple of hours later, Trump echoed Sanders, telling reporters the “sole motive” he canceled his assembly was due to “what came about with respect to the ships and the sailors.”
“We do not like what occurred. We’re sad about it,” Trump mentioned. “On the idea of what came about with respect to the ships and the sailors, that was the only real motive.”