The PBE has been updated! As we continue the 8.2 PBE cycle, today’s patch includes skin tweaks for Sweetheart Xayah and Rakan, new Leveling rewaed emotes for level 200 and beyond, new and tweaked esports icons & more!
Table of Contents
- Skin Tweaks
- Leveling Reward Emotes
- New and Tweaks Esports Icons
- Balance Changes
- Context & Notes
[Sweetheart Rakan and Xayah should have a few, checking into other skins!]
Leveling Reward Emotes
Four new leveling reward emotes were added to the PBE; these are noted in the files as “Legend 8” for level 200, “Legend 9” for level 225, “Legend 10” for level 250, and “Legend 11” for level 275.
New and Tweaked Esports Summoner Icons
A stray esports summoner icon was added, joining the 46 icons from the 1/11 PBE Update:
- The Sweetheart Rakan emote was tweaked to match the changes to his skin that should be in today’s PBE update [previous version here]:
- Riot Orphyre posted the bugs & feedback thread for the Lunar Revel chroma:
Sorry for the wait! To make it up to all of you, we’ve got a bunch of Chromas coming out this patch! We’ll have Chromas coming out for Lunar Empress Lux, Lunar Guardian Nasus, Lunar Guardian Warwick, as well as a set of Golden Chromas for previous Lunar Revel skins (incl. Guqin Sona, Warring Kingdoms Garen, Lunar Wraith Caitlyn, Warring Kingdoms Katarina, Dragonwing Corki, and Dragonblade Riven. Whew!)
Lunar Empress Lux Chromas:
- New textures: “Shine bright!”
- Ruby – A little red for good luck
- Peridot – I’m not jaded at all~
- Rose Quartz – Peachy as ever
- Amethyst – The lotus blooms pure and untainted
- Turquoise – For a vivid new year
Lunar Guardian Nasus Chromas:
- New textures: “The cycle of life and death continues. We will live, they will die.”
- Ruby – My infernal brother’s going to be jealous
- Meteorite – “The sky was naught but dying stars”
- Pearl – True ascension has never felt better
- Turquoise – “More souls for the pyre”
Lunar Guardian Warwick Chromas:
- New textures: “You hurt them, I hurt you.”
- Ruby – “Blood brings rage”
- Meteorite – The darkness consumes, the monster emerges
- Pearl – Such extravagance… delicious
- Turquoise – A new year, a new beast
Golden Chromas: Will be available through loot
- New textures: From rags to riches!
- Guqin Sona – Listen Summoner, to my new etwahl
- Warring Kingdoms Garen – For glory and Demacia!
- Lunar Wraith Caitlyn – The golden gun
- Warring Kingdoms Katarina – Let’s get these gold daggers dirty
- Dragonwing Corki – Ever ride a gold dragon before?
- Dragonblade Riven – Just wait till you see my golden blade reforged!
The Chroma sets are now available on PBE! However, there are currently a few notes:
- Final Names: The names in-game are not up to date, the final names are the ones you see above
- Legacy: These Chromas will be Legacy skins, meaning they will, at some point in time, become unavailable for purchase
We hope you all will enjoy the new sets, but we’re also looking forward to hearing your constructive feedback. I’ll do my best to answer and reply to your questions and feedback!
- Lowbo provided a bugs and feedback thread for the Sightstone changes:
“Sightstone and all of its upgrades will be removed from the store.
Support items will gain Sightstone’s active as their quest reward.
Support Tier 3 items now build out of Tier 2 and a Ruby Crystal, and give you the same stats as their respective line’s “Eye of the __” upgraded Sightstone on live.
NOTE: Current names and icons for Tier 3 are temporary. We’ll have new names and icons for all three lines for Tier 2 after quest completion, and Tier 3 both pre and post quest completion.
Please send any feedback and bugs you may have noticed playing with these changes on the PBE!”
Context & Notes
who would win: the PBE vs 1 WIPpy boi
1) KateyKhaos and YBourykina provided a look at the updates to Sweetheart Rakan and Sweetheart Xayah which should be showing up in today’s PBE update:
 “Here’s a side by side comparison of the changes made to Sweetheart Rakan. These updates will be in the next PBE build.”
 Here’s a side by side comparison of the changes made to Sweetheart Xayah. These updates will be in the next PBE build.
2) Here’s Meddler with his quick gameplay thoughts for January 12th, including thoughts on the Sightstone changes, vision score, adaptive damage, and more:
These posts will often contain talk about future work we’re doing, or planning to do, that isn’t yet guaranteed to ship. The nature of the work could change or, depending on what we discover, projects mentioned may get put delayed or even stopped. If you’d like to see a Tweet whenever a new one of these posts goes up: https://twitter.com/RiotMeddler
As we mentioned earlier in the week we’ve got changes coming where the support items will give the Sightstone active as a reward. Goal there’s to open up support item choice and flexibility, versus the current degree to which that’s locked behind an early sightstone purchase. We’ve seen a number of concerns expressed about that approach, and while we’ve talked about that in some threads already visibility’s been low and/or our plans have got a bit more concrete since. Some related points below as a result:
- Overall power level of supports after this change isn’t intended to change. If this ends up being a noticeable buff or nerf to the position as a whole we’ll adjust things.
- Goal is that Sightstones should still become available around the same time in lane. Amount of gold needed to complete the quest has been reduced as a result to keep that timing.
- We’ll be moving the Frost Queen’s and Talisman actives onto new items, with a goal of finding costs and build paths so that they’re accessible to both supports and non supports.
- We’ll be considering something like Face of the Mountain’s active for a new item, though aren’t as certain about that one. Certainly possible there’s a need for a single target (ish) protective item like that that Knight’s Vow, Mikael’s, Locket don’t meet. Purchase rate of FotM has also historically been quite low (versus Eye of Targon), and use of the active lower again. We’re less sure that it makes sense to port the active over just like Frost Queen’s/Talisman as a result.
- Active item CDR on an item might come back at some point. It’s a decent concept for an item certainly, in terms of what sort of play it enables and the item choices it creates. Would almost certainly need to be paired with a cap on active item CDR though. The lack of an active item CDR cap’s an oversight, given until 7.22 there weren’t any other sources, and it’s leading to issues balancing items.
- The support items won’t give the Sightstone active on Twisted Treeline. For now at least they’ll continue to have their old rewards on TT instead.
Vision Score on the Scoreboard
On a somewhat related topic we’re planning to add vision score to the tab screen as a field that’s shown all the time, not just something visible on trinket mouseover. Goal there is to better reflect how important vision is, and how much individual players are contributing to their team via vision/vision removal. Should be in 8.2 or 8.3. That will be much more awareness of vision score than there’s been in the past, so possible this also reveals oddities in how it’s calculated (e.g. is it overvaluing deep wards versus their actual contribution, or undervaluing killing wards with red trinkets?). Feedback on that sort of stuff much appreciated, whether off vision score as it is on live or after it goes out on the scoreboard as well.
Adaptive Damage Defaults
We’ll be taking a look at each champion in terms of whether they get AP or AD by default from adaptive runes if they don’t have any of either stat yet. For most champs that’s not a problem, because their starting item either lets them define what they’re after or there’s one stat that’s consistently better for them that they’re getting already. For some champs though, particularly tankier ones who may never build any AP or AD, or junglers who’d really like a particular stat for their early clears, the current defaults may be problematic.
Our plan is to look at the list of defaults and, if there are any that aren’t the appropriate choice at present, change them. We haven’t made a list of champs to be changed yet though and I figured this was a really good question to open up widely. If anyone’s got thoughts on champs with the wrong adaptive default would love to hear them in the comments here.”
- 1/9 PBE Update: Six New 1350 Skins, New Chroma, Icons, Emotes, Lunar Revel Nashor, & More
- 1/10 PBE Update: Updated Miss Fortune Splashes & More
- 1/11 PBE Update: Esports Summoner Icons, Lunar Revel Loot Assets, & More