Today’s red post collection includes Meddler’s gameplay thoughts for 10/11, Emotes going live worldwide with Patch 7.20, a new premium Yasuo hoodie in the merch shop, a reminder to vote on the Championship Ashe charity, and more!
- Red Post Collection: Quick Gameplay Thoughts: 10/9, /Dev: Missions Update, and More
- 2017 Ranked Season Ends November 7th
- Champion & Skin Sale 10/10 – 10/13
- Free Champion Rotation, Week of October 10th
- Evelynn Champion Spotlight
- Patch 7.20 Server Maintenance
- Evelynn Champion Bio & Story: The Tallest Daisy
- Patch 7.20 Notes
- PBE Preview: Death Sworn Viktor
- 10/10 PBE Update: New Skins, Chroma, Summoner Icons & More
Table of Contents
- Quick Gameplay Thoughts: October 11
- Emotes are Live!
- New Yasuo Hoodie in Merch Shop
- Vote on which charity wins 50% of the charity fund
- Quick Hits
Quick Gameplay Thoughts: October 11
Here’s Meddler with his quick gameplay thoughts for October 11, covering base stat adjustments, Ardent Censer, more ping changes, and more:
These posts will often contain talk about future work we’re doing, or planning to do, that isn’t yet guaranteed to ship. The nature of the work could change or, depending on what we discover, projects mentioned may get put delayed or even stopped.
If you’d like to see a Tweet whenever a new one of these posts goes up: https://twitter.com/RiotMeddler
Base Stat Adjustments and Runes
We’re still working on base stat and ability changes that will accompany the other pre-season changes at the moment and more of those should be back on PBE this week. One thing I figured it would be good to talk more about there though is what our goals are with those changes. In particular, we’re not trying to offer every champion the same gold value of extra base stats. What we are trying to do is give each champ what they’ll need to be successful post runes changes. Based off how other changes impact them champs may need more or less base stats added than others to put them around the same spot they were before. Magic damage dealers for example benefiting from MR removal from old runes effectively gain extra power that way, even if they’re not directly getting extra stats. Some champs may need much more specialized adjustments, whereas others may be fine with just a bunch of armor. Some champs will also benefit more from the new runes system than others.
The adjustments that go in 7.22 will also just be round one. They’re our best estimate of what’s needed to begin with, the real polish and tuning will come afterwards though once we’ve seen where champion balance actually lands, rather than having to just work off predictions. As with every pre-season patch there’ll be some champs that have a rough time for a little bit, or do really well, and we’ll likely need to further adjust base stats on a number of them at that point to get things where they should be.
Looking back we definitely misread how impactful Censer would become and should have nerfed it quicker. We’re talking about it a lot at present, including discussion on whether after the 7.19 changes it’s still too strong. The version in 7.18 we’re seeing in Worlds is definitely out of line, somewhat harder to get a good read on the 7.19 one given how much Worlds impacts what gets played in regular games/what gets talked about, even though they’re different patches. At a minimum we’ll be both assessing it in 7.21 and looking at it again after pre-season goes out.
Non LoL: the concept of ‘piggybacking’ in design
This isn’t LoL specific, but mentioning it since I know some folks also have an interest in game design in general. There’s a lot of good writing around that talks about various game design principles. One example of that I really like is Mark Rosewater’s talk about what he calls ‘piggybacking’ in the blog post linked below. Piggybacking is a way of communicating a lot of complex stuff to the player quickly and easily by using their existing understanding of things. Well worth a read if that sounds interesting even if you’re not familiar with Magic the Gathering which is the game Rosewater generally talks about.
Few more ping changes coming
We’re getting a few more item specific pings in, hopefully for 7.21. Stuff like letting you ping stack numbers of Tear or whether Duskblade is currently detecting something or not (as per the icon on the buffbar already). If you’ve got thoughts on item specific info it’d be valuable to be able to share with your team would love to hear them.”
Emotes are Live!
[Note: Emotes were launched with 7.20 then disabled on a few servers due to a bug! Check your region’s server status for more info!]
“EMOTES ARE LIVE!
It’s time to stop dying while typing. Emotes let you react in real-time with a customizable loadout of in-game reactions. To celebrate launch, everyone will get a free thumbs-up emote to equip and try out!
Get started by equipping emotes in your Collections tab.
Take up to five usable emotes into Equip emotes to a wheel with five slots. In your loadout, there are two extra slots for emotes that will automatically flash at the start of the game and at the end of a win (read: so you don’t sit there and try to time it exactly right when you should be killing the nexus).
Once you get into game, the default keybind for the emote wheel will be T, but you can rebind it like any other key (looking at you, Lee Sin mains).
If you’re on the fast track to Tilt City, you can individually mute emotes via the scoreboard. We’re also adding a “mute enemy emotes” option in the in-game settings. Emotes will also “break” and go on cooldown if you take any champion damage while emoting.
You can find your emotes in the new Emotes tab in the store.
Emotes will be available for 450 RP each, but to celebrate launch, each individual emote will be snaggable for 350 RP, and we’ll also offer an Emote Starter Set of five emotes, with one exclusive to the bundle, for 975 RP. Both will be available until November 6, 2017, at 11:59 PM PT.
Post-launch, you’ll start to see emotes make their way into recurring bundle sales and individual sales rotations.
If you have any other questions, you can check out our FAQ.
Please emote responsibly.”
For the full Frequently Asked Questions, continue reading:
- Are any old emotes coming back?
- Not right away, but we’ll be on the lookout for ways to bring back emotes from past events (like Arcade or Versus). We don’t plan to bring back any Esports emotes. If we bring back an emote that you’ve already earned, we’ll gift it to you.
- Can I gift emotes?
- Not right now, but hopefully in the future.
- Will emotes be added to loot?
- Not yet, but we’ll add them eventually.
- How do I mute emotes?
- There are two ways to mute emotes. You can mute all enemy emotes in the in-game settings menu, or mute individual player emotes through the scoreboard.
- Will muting emotes also mute the champion mastery emote?
- Yes. Champion mastery emotes are now part of the emotes system, so they follow all the same rules.
- My emotes don’t work after I’ve used a few. What’s up with that?
- Emotes will go on cooldown if overused, or if your emote is interrupted by taking damage. We may adjust the length of these cooldowns in the future. Emotes also don’t work in custom matches or on the Practice Tool.
- Are all emotes going to be 350 RP?
- They’ll launch at 350 RP, but they’ll return to their normal price of 450 RP a month after release (October 24 for OCE, Nov. 7 everywhere else).
- Are Worlds emotes permanent?
- Will there be more emotes bundles?
- Yes! We plan to create more emotes bundles some time after launch.
- (OCE only) I bought the individual emotes in the bundle before the bundle came out. Refund please!
- Since bundles weren’t immediately available in OCE, we’ll refund the difference between the price and what you paid by November 11 at 12:59 PM PT.
- Emotes in the bundle cost about 131 RP each (that’s a 70% savings off the 450 RP price). So partial refunds look like this:
- If you own all four emotes, your Emote Starter Set price is 451 RP and we’ll give you a refund of 876 RP
- Only the emotes included in the bundle (Clean, Does Not Compute, Despair, and Scout-Approved) will be discounted. Any emotes purchased after the bundle becomes available won’t qualify for this discount.”
New Yasuo Hoodie in Merch Shop
A new hoodie is now available in the Riot Games Merch shop! The Yasuo Premium Hoodie was available at the NA LCS finals in Vancouver, and now is your chance to get it for yourself if you couldn’t make the event!
“Face the wind – and all the rest of the elements – in comfort and style. Unlock your inner samurai and never wander alone.
With the Yasuo Premium Hoodie, we wanted to find that sweet spot between casual clothing and straight up cosplay. We focused on Yasuo’s iconic left arm armor as something with high potential to extend past the normal design of a base hoodie. We didn’t want to go overboard with the design, so we left the rest of the details inside the zippered pockets and included a custom neck tag.”
Vote on which charity wins 50% of the charity fund
As announced in the Worlds Hits the Rift post, a percentage of sales from Championship Ashe and the Championship Ward will go toward three charities, and now is your time to help decide who gets the biggest piece of the pie:
“This year, fighting with Honor impacts lives around the world. We’re matching 25% of Championship Ashe and 2017 Championship Ward sales to form a charity fund. Vote now for your favorite charity by visiting the “Vote for Charity” tab in client. The highest-voted charity receives 50% of the pool, with the other two splitting the remainder. Each player gets one vote, and votes are multiplied based on a player’s Honor level:
Level 3 and below = 1x Level 4 = 1.5x Level 5 = 2x
How each global charity will use the contribution
BasicNeeds helps people with mental, neurological, and substance use disorders. They’ll build sustainable programs in three additional countries with the goal of aiding thousands more with mental health care over the next three years.
Learning Equality brings high-quality education to communities without internet access. They’ll develop and launch their offline learning platform Kolibri to provide rich digital experiences for underserved students in over 175 countries.
The Raspberry Pi Foundation hosts CoderDojos, which are global networks of free, volunteer-led, community-based programming clubs for young people aged 7-17. They’ll lead 5,000 more CoderDojos in communities across South America, India, China, and East Africa.
Voting ends on November 5, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT
Every vote counts towards a cause, and every purchase of Championship Ashe and the 2017 Championship Ward adds to the donation pool. Both are available in the League store until November 5, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT. We’ll announce the total funds raised and the highest-voted charity when voting and sales end. Thanks for supporting these causes, and vote with Honor.”
You can vote in client by going to the Worlds 2017 tab then clicking VOTE.
- Riot Sap Magic noted that Simultaneous Draft picks are now like in NA, will be coming to other regions in 7.21:
“Simultaneous Draft Picks are now enabled in North America! We’ll monitor stability, activate other regions in 7.21. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/client/client-features/champ-select-upgrades-incoming“
- Riot Riscx provided an update on the Challenger recalls when asked on Reddit:
“This; it’s still being worked on, just slowly. I got a personal Ao Shin lesson about announcing content too early. I thought it would ship about a month after the announcement.
It’s almost done, apparently there are ~14 different versions of recall because people decided to make an all new recall spell for random skins – and now we have to sift through every skin on every champion in every queue because a handful of them dont use the base recall for some reason. Wouldn’t be surprised if we miss one but hopefully we wont
Not going to give a date so I don’t repeat the same mistake but it’s definitely still being worked on”
- Over on the OCE boards, Riot Zaps mentioned they have been testing an instant feedback system for champ select and end of game chat issues:
“We’ve been working on a system that involves looking through champ select and post-game chats looking for instances of verbal abuse or unsportsmanlike behaviour.
We’ve been trialing this system during the last week. At the point at which I posted this comment, it looks like everyone who posted in this thread was punished by this system.
Because this is a relatively new system that is being trialed – there’s currently no specific information in the client or in the email that you receive after being punished. If you contact Player Support, they will provide you with more context around why you were punished. We’re planning on improving the info provided at the time of punishment over time.
I’m happy to provide logs here from your own cases if you are willing for me to do so. Otherwise, Player Support should be able to help you out.”
“As Gin answered, this is currently on trial in OCE only. As it currently is, the system does not care if there was a dodge or not.”
- Riot Socrates commented on the Honor system and some changes that they are working on for it:
“Agree that once you are 5 you lose a bit of the anticipation and excitement from having big goals.
We are making some changes based on the feedback we got from the systems launch to make it better. I can’t share specifics, but I think many of you will be pleased.
Also honor levels do have a reset at the start of the next season, a bit like ranked. So there will be some new goals and rewards.”
- Check out the most recent page of Punches and Plants: A Piltover Police Story, which updates every Tuesday!
“The final sixteen teams face off in the first round of the 2017 Worlds Group Stage. Can anyone beat SKT? Is NA greater than EU? Find out with Flashback!”
“Check out the top 5 plays from the first week of the Group Stage of the 2017 World Championship in this week’s episode of The Penta.”
“This week on The Dive the gang are joined by Vedius to talk about all the action from Week 1 of the Worlds 2017 Group Stage.”
- The ranked season ends November 7th! Check out this post for all the end of season goodies you will be eligible for at the end of this season!
- With Worlds 2017 in full swing, Summoner’s Rift is celebrating with new emotes, map accents, and much more as Worlds hits the Rift through the end of Worlds! Championship Ashe and her Golden Championship chroma, ward, legacy esports skins and much more are now available! Check out the post for all the details.