Cher wanted to play Morticia.
Paramount / BuzzFeed
1. The make-up team had to pull Anjelica Huston’s eyes upwards with glue and string so they looked slanted.
2. As a result, she got daily headaches but couldn’t lie down to rest because she was wearing a painful metal corset to get Morticia’s tiny, tucked-in waist.
3. The shoot was plagued by misfortune – the director Barry Sonnenfeld fainted, his replacement was rushed to hospital with an infection, the production company ran out of money, and Sonnenfeld’s wife was rushed to hospital for major surgery.
4. Cher wanted to play Morticia, but producer Scott Rudin always had Anjelica Huston in mind.
5. Danny Devito and Bob Hoskins both turned down the role of Uncle Fester.
6. Tim Burton, Terry Gilliam, and David Lynch were all asked if they wanted to direct The Addams Family. They said no, so Barry Sonnenfeld became the director. He'd previously worked as director of photography for the Coen brothers.
8. Raul Julia was diagnosed with stomach cancer in 1991, the year The Addams Family was released. The cast were moved by the scene where Gomez is on his deathbed singing, as they thought Julia would’ve already known he was sick at that point.
9. Christopher Lloyd, who played Fester in the film (and Doc Brown in Back to the Future) shaved his head to be bald.
10. Lloyd is 6ft 1” so he had to crouch down throughout filming to appear much shorter. This also gave him Fester's strange wobbling walk.
11. Anjelica Huston’s make-up took at least three hours. Often the cast would need to be in the make-up chair at 4am each morning.
12. When Angelica Huston was a little girl growing up in Ireland, her family had a book of Charles Addams' original Addams Family cartoons in the bathroom.
13. Huston used to pretend she was Morticia when she was 6 years old.
14. Jimmy Workman, who played Pugsley, was scouted for the role when he accompanied his sister along to audition for Wednesday. The casting directors saw him playing and asked him to read for the part.
15. Jimmy and Christina Ricci, who played Wednesday, had a lot of fun together on set, playing video games, skateboarding, and driving golf carts.
16. Christina Ricci channelled Winona Ryder in Beetlejuice during her audition for the role of Wednesday.
17. In the original script for the film, Uncle Fester was going to be revealed as an imposter. Christina Ricci pleaded with the filmmakers to change the storyline so that he was the real Fester with memory loss.
18. It was Christina Ricci’s birthday during filming and the cast and crew gave her a bicycle.