As soon as on the G7, Trump arrived late Saturday morning for a breakfast assembly attended by the varied world leaders — after which held a considerably impromptu information convention earlier than heading to Singapore for his much-discussed summit with North Korean chief Kim Jong Un on June 12.
The press convention was, um, a humdinger. I went by means of the official White Home transcript and pulled out a number of the extra memorable traces. They’re under.
1. “We have concluded a extremely tremendously profitable G7.”
2. “And you recognize the gents up are the legendary Larry Kudlow and the legendary John Bolton.”
3. “I made lots of statements having to do with readability.”
Sure, sure. This clears issues up properly.
4. “I congratulate the leaders of different nations for therefore crazily with the ability to make these commerce offers that had been so good for his or her nation and so dangerous for the USA.”
A hearty congratulations in your craziness! Properly executed, sirs and madams!
5. “I will be on a mission of peace, and we are going to carry in, actually — in my coronary heart, we’ll be carrying the hearts of tens of millions of individuals, individuals from everywhere in the world.”
That is lots of hearts.
6. “We actually assume that North Korea will likely be an amazing place in a really quick time period.”
This, like many Trump statements, is inconceivable to truth test. So, in a brief time period North Korea goes to be “large”? How? Why?
7. “Properly, there’s all the time every little thing.”
Clever phrases. Clever. Phrases.
8. “He will not have that chance once more. It is by no means going to be there once more.”
Trump making very clear to Kim that that is his one large likelihood. And that if he misses his likelihood, there will not be one other. (It is not fully clear whether or not Trump would follow such a tricky line within the sand or not.)
9. “He can take that nation, with these nice individuals, and actually make it nice.”
In case you comply with Trump’s logic right here, the way in which Kim will make North Korea “nice” is to do away with his nuclear weapons. I am unsure Kim would agree with that view.
10. “And we are going to watch over, and we’ll shield, and we’ll do lots of issues.”
Quite a lot of issues. Consider me.
11. “I’ve not spoken to Vladimir Putin in fairly some time.”
12. “Some individuals like the thought of bringing Russia again in.”
“Some individuals” = Donald Trump
13. “And one thing occurred some time in the past, the place Russia is now not in.”
Sure, Russia invaded a sovereign nation and annexed a area of it.
14. “We pay nothing. We do not wish to pay something. Why ought to we pay?”
Me, at Starbucks, each rattling day.
15. “So that you go tariff-free, you go barrier-free, you go subsidy-free.”
You go gluten free.
16. “That is the way in which you discovered on the Wharton Faculty of Finance.”
So, wait, Trump went to Wharton? I didn’t know that! You’ll assume he would point out that extra usually!
17. “I assume, they obtained to return to the drawing and test it out, proper?”
18. “It will change, 100%.”
A hundred percent is essentially the most change. The largest. There is no extra change than that.
19. “We’re just like the piggy financial institution that everyone is robbing.”
Ronald Reagan on America: A shining metropolis on a hill.
George H.W. Bush on America: A thousand factors of sunshine.
Donald Trump on America: The piggy financial institution that everyone is robbing.
20. “And so we’re speaking to many nations. We’re speaking to all nations.”
So are we speaking to many nations? Or all the nations? I would like some readability!
21. “So once we attempt to convey our piece up just a little bit in order that it is not so dangerous, after which they go up — proper — the distinction is that they accomplish that way more enterprise with us than we do with them that we will not lose that.”
Man, this reads similar to an economics textbook.
22. “The numbers are so astronomically in opposition to them when it comes to something, as per your query.”
23. “You’ve got studied this very effectively. Congratulations.”
[pats self on back]
24. “Hispanic doing the perfect.”
He is speaking about Hispanic unemployment numbers right here. However it’s kind of an odd option to say it…
25. “Pretend Information CNN. The worst. However I may inform by the query.”
The query in query, by CNN’s Kevin Liptak who was serving because the pool reporter on the occasion, was this: “As you had been heading into these G7 talks, there was a way that America’s closest allies had been annoyed with you and offended with you, and that you just had been offended with them and that you just had been leaving right here early to go meet for extra friendlier talks with Kim Jong Un in Singapore. And I am questioning if you happen to view it the identical manner. And do you view the US alliance system shifting beneath your presidency?”
Looks as if a fairly related query to me.
26. “I might say that the extent of relationship is a 10.”
This all checks out.
27. “I’ll blame them if they do not act sensible and do what they should do — as a result of they don’t have any selection. I will be sincere with you, they don’t have any selection.”
To sum up:
a) Trump would not blame leaders of different nations for benefiting from the US
b) They will not have the ability to benefit from us anymore
c) They don’t have any selection
d) Once more no selection
28. “So you’ll be able to inform that to your pretend associates at CNN.”
Only a reminder: Donald Trump is the President of the USA. Go inform your actual associates that.
29. “The connection that I’ve had with the individuals, the leaders of those nations, has been — I might actually, charge it on a scale of zero to 10, I might charge it a 10.”
30. “, it is just like the gig is up. It is just like the gig is up. They are not attempting to — there’s nothing they will say.”
Trump is casting the world as having collectively — and purposely — bilked the US for many years. And now, they’ve been caught red-handed they usually understand it. Once more, colour me skeptical that that is how France, Canada and the remainder of the G7 see the state of affairs.
31. “However lots of these nations really smile at me once I’m speaking. And the smile is — we could not consider we obtained away with it.”
So, that is what he thinks the smile is about.
32. “I believe that he will shock, on the upside, very a lot on the upside.”
[NBA draft expert voice] “Kim Jong Un, this can be a man with large upside. Not a lot identified about him going into this summit however his upside is limitless.”
33. “As a result of, you recognize, as a deal individual, I’ve executed very effectively with offers.”
Deal individuals do effectively with offers. It’s identified.
34. “I believe inside the first minute I am going to know. Simply my contact, my really feel. That is what I do.”
My favourite quote — by lots — within the press convention. So, Trump will know whether or not a deal can get executed with Kim inside the first minute of assembly him due to his “contact” and “really feel.” Acquired it.
35. “Everybody mentioned — you recognize, the haters, they are saying, ‘Oh, you are giving him a gathering.’ Give me a break, OK?”
“The haters. ” — The President of the USA
36. “As a result of the US press may be very dishonest, a lot of it.”
On overseas soil — and en path to a world summit over nuclear weapons — the President assaults “a lot” of the media as dishonest. In case you had been questioning whether or not that is regular, it is not. By no means.
37. “There are a lot of individuals within the press which are unbelievably dishonest. They do not cowl tales the way in which they’re speculated to be.”
This can be a good reminder that for Trump, “pretend information” and “dishonest” reporters mainly interprets to “journalists who report tales that are not favorable to me.”
38. “So there’s large — you recognize, I got here up with the time period, ‘pretend information.’ It is lots of pretend information. However on the identical time, I’ve nice respect for many individuals within the press.”
Good night time. And good luck.